I was born in 1984 in Italy and I am passionate about science!
At the University I studied Physics and Astronomy and in 2013 I got a PhD from the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Germany). I have been a member of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration and actively contributed to the first detection of gravitational waves (the tiny ripples in the fabric of space-time predicted by Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity) and direct observation of black holes. For this revolutionary discovery, the members of the LIGO and Virgo collaborations (including me) were awarded the 2016 Physics Breakthrough Prize. What an honour!
During those years I learned that science is not only beautiful when made, but also when communicated.
So here I am now, working as science communication manager at ICONS (Italy) and the youris.com European Research Media Agency (Belgium) for EU-funded, large-scale international research projects in areas such as Future and Emerging Technologies (FET), energy, Smart Cities, Nature-Based solutions, security…and more!
From May to November 2021, I have also completed an internship in science journalism at the Department of Communication of the European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO), the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world’s most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. The perfect combination of my academic background and my activity as a science communicator!
Since April 2022 I have also been working as an associate editor at astroEDU, an open-access platform for peer-reviewed astronomy educational activities operating under the auspices of the Office of Astronomy for Education (OAE) of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) (see also the Teaching section).
Discover my skillsProfessional skills
- Multi-stakeholder, multi-channel and multi-format science communication and dissemination
- Project management and planning
- Design and implementation of editorial plans
- Creation, curation and distribution of scientific editorial contents
- Science journalism
- Knowledge of new and traditional media
- Social media management
- Quantitative impact assessment of communication campaigns
- Strong work experience in European research projects
- International experience: Italy, Germany, Switzerland and USA
- Ability to work in large, international scientific organisations and collaborations: ESO, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics, LIGO Scientific Collaboration and Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab)
- Ability to work independently and in a diverse team
- Strong background in Physics and Astronomy
- Teaching and outreach experience
- Event organisation, promotion and management
- Science translation
- Website management with WordPress
- Command of graphic software and tools such as InDesign and Canva
- Video editing with Filmora and iMovie
- Audio editing with Audacity
- Italian (native)
- English (proficient)
- German (proficient)
- Spanish (proficient)
- French (beginner)